Sunday, April 18, 2010

All the Cars I Loved Before......

Posted by Picasa
I have always been fascinated by cars, but unfortunately I don't remember the above picture of a cool volvo (it looks like the Volvo 1800 driven by Roger Moore in "The Saint" TV series). My memory would have improved if Olive the Great Dane had bitten me or the car ran over my feet. Pain works well with my memory (refer to "My Old Man"). I believe the guy who owned the car was trying to impress one of my sister. The first thing I realized about cars is that the owner tries to impress girls and boys alike. Its a pretty bisexual thing just like the hair dressers! Here I will be listing all the cars I have owned over the past 20 odd years. All of them had special memories of time, place, people and events.

Posted by Picasa
My first car I ever owned was a 1978 Volkswagen Rabbit (the model evolved into the Golf model in the 80's onwards) while I was studying in the US in 1997-1990. I bought it for US$800 before I got my drivers license. Three driving test later I finally got my license (I am after all a Malaysia driver being tested in the US without any prior training). The car was the most defective car I ever own and had this inability to work at the most inconvenient time. I had an AAA Card which gave me free towing and start ups during the cold winters. It got towed so many times AAA started charging me for it. There was a silver lining however, I got to know my mechanic very well and I learnt many ways why cars don't work!!! The mechanic sold me a red '76 Honda Accord for US$600 and I traded in the Volkswagen after about a year.

Posted by Picasa
The Red Accord even though well rusted, was very reliable (being Japanese) and could go up to 90 MPH, decent on highways. I did do my first body work on a car with the Accord. It was badly rusted right above the two front tyres and mud would reach the windscreen. Later the driver door could not shut I replaced it with metallic blue one. It was the car I finished my Uni education with. I drove it to the airport car park, took the tape deck out left the signed registration card and car keys in it and flew home for the last time.

Posted by Picasa
Got home in April 1990 and started work in Sandakan. My brother John, paid the deposit for me to purchase the two tone Izuzu Trooper (thanks John!!), my first 4WD. A fuel guzzler of a vehicle it stayed with me until the mid-ninties. Drove the Trooper beetween Sandakan and Kota Kinabalu quite a bit and took it to Tenom, Tawau, Lahad Datu and Danum Valley - most of Sabah actually. The Trooper got me acquainted with manual driving again since it was my first manual.

Posted by Picasa
Got back to KK and got a 1995 Toyota Surf Limited edition. Loved this car and enjoyed driving it. Met my wife and got married, had our first kid during this time. When I sold it I had a tear in my eye when it was driven a way. I decided that would be the last time I would be attached to a vehicle. Had incredible memories with the car.

Posted by Picasa

Then the Proton Wira..... the working car had good road handling. Drove from KK to Tenom in less than 120 minutes. It was reliable as a Proton can be, which isn't saying much.

Posted by Picasa
The 1990 Land Cruiser BJ60. A man's car, black and testosterone driven. A intimidating car. Changed the seats, very comfortable seats. It's weakness, it lack speed but had torque. Sold it to get the 2007 Toyota Avanza for practical reason i.e. the family (something both the wife and me could drive) The era of the "mummy van".....

Posted by Picasa
The Avanza I must say is a joy to drive, it can fit 6 reasonable large persons, luggage space to spare...and a very practical car. This is the point where the both of us decided from now we will only get black or white cars to end all disagreement on colors. Is white / Black really a color anywhere?!
Posted by Picasa

The 21 year old 2 door Land Cruiser II (all the numbers)was added was from my sister (thanks!!!). The suspension has been modified and the vehicle is over 6 feet tall (just enough to squeeze thru the multi story or underground car parks). Future plans are to change the cab (body has a bit of a rust problem), anti roll bars and matte black paint job (maybe a more powerful engine and transmission..emm). Then join the KK Four Wheel Drive Club for some outdoor activities.


My dream car?! The Toyota FJ Cruiser which is a spin off of the old HJ40/BJ40 series Land Cruiser. Emm this thing for Toyotas and Land Cruisers!!!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I loved the Surf too! .... I cried too when it was gone but not as bad as Ash !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this... By the way, since you're from Tawau, I think you would like to see this http://www.discovertawau.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah So Nice, Very Touching cryyiing alr,hehehe, Cheers Bro

    ReplyDelete