Saturday, September 25, 2010

Climb Mt. Kinabalu after a Decade (and be fitter while doing it!)


Posted by Picasa

So what can I say I have the urge to do it again! It has been 10 years since my last climb up that Mountain! So I weighed myself on the 19th July 2010 - 105kg.  Emmm must have a goal that requires me to exercise.
The proof  below that I actually made it (my siblings were very confident I wouldn't make it! Ha!).

The special Millennium Cert
Posted by Picasa

The climb was with JCI City of Singapore with JCI Kota Kinabalu.  We started by having fellowship the night before the climb which include refreshing beverages and got home at 1am. Woke up at 5am and picked up the climbers for the one and a half hour drive to the Mt. K National Park and started climbing at 8am. I got to the rest house (food and bed before the final climb to the peak) at 3pm after wanting to give up almost every ten minutes or  so. Had trouble with the altitude at 10,000 feet. Dizziness and a bit of nausea (just liked being drunk!!!) and decided not to join the guys for the final climb at 2am. When we were woken up at about 1:30am I felt a lot better and decided to go for it. It usually takes climbers to reach the peak at 5:30am, I got there at 9am but I got there! Fortunately it was a clear day and we were allowed to do so. By this time the average climber would reach the rest house for breakfast. Andrew and myself arrived in time for lunch. After enjoying a hot meal and extremely tired with no rest we were told to start our descend. This time the group stuck together and chatted at every rest area not realizing the time. It started to pour down and the trail became a stream and it got dark extremely quick. We got down to the gate at 7pm totally soaked and knackered (me anyway).

 I have decided I will want to do it again by this year so I will keep everyone (wife and kids) posted. (I have already postponed it once, it was meant to be done on the anniversary of the climb but I have had no preparation)


Here with the guys, I wanted to give up many many times during this trip, its thanks to friends who urge me on. Oh, thanks for the cigarettes as well Andrew!!

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment