Friday, April 23, 2010

2005 JCI WP Speech at the World Congress President Ball

Posted by PicasaKevin Cullinane was the 2005 JCI President who has inspired me with his calm but passionate (two words you don't usual associate calm & passionate but he pulled it off) style when I happened to be the JCI Malaysia President. His outgoing speech at the Vienna JCI World Congress was one of those speeches that touched me and made me realise why I am so passionate about this organisation. I actually searched for the speech and kept it for future reference (the other was Pope John Paul II homily in Israel when I fell asleep and have been a guilty catholic ever since!)

SPEECH AT JCI PRESIDENTIAL INAUGURATION

President Elect, National Presidents, Chief Delegates, Board Colleagues, Secretary General, Congress Director, Chapter Presidents, Past, Present and Future International, National and Local Officers, Senators, Members, International Advisors, Support Team, Distinguished Guests, Friends and Family, Ladies and Gentlemen

This Irish Presidency sought to restore an executive leadership role for our elected officers and world headquarters staff. I hope I established a culture where innovation and initiative was encouraged this year.

Once in office I discovered the challenges more extensive, the choices more difficult, and the scrutiny more inevitable than I had anticipated. By accepting the criticisms and the congratulations with equal measure, I have learned from my mistakes, and built the kind of Irish Presidency I dreamt about – dedicated, decisive, determined and Member focused.

I thought it imperative from the outset that our Members knew what anyone standing for the Presidency thought about the organization he was hoping to lead. I hoped, that in addition to openly discussing our organization’s strengths as well as weaknesses, the external opportunities and threats, I could establish a forum for dealing with the key issues of Membership growth and decline, Marketing excellence and limitation, Media knowledge and ignorance.

I think I have successfully put those three M’s – Membership, Marketing, and Media firmly in your consciousness this year! But you know, you have to be careful with this Media thing – you never know when there might be a camera lurking in the background.

(CUE SHAKING THAT ASS VIDEO)

During the past year you have witnessed this Irish Presidency at work. Our needs and hopes were eloquently stated in the 2005 JCI Business Plan and the initiatives and follow through has been shared with the very fabric of our organization – our Members and our Chapters.

Perhaps historians in the future will regard this Presidency as necessarily one of those frequent periods of consolidation, a time to draw breath, recoup our natural energy and focus on what was urgent and important. I leave office in December with absolutely no regrets.

You demanded a vigorous proponent of the JCI interest, and I hope you got it. A President who was capable and competent acting as the organization’s Chief Executive Officer. A leader who rose above national or self interest to formulate strategy and gave clear direction on policy and programming, not a casual bystander of progress.

This administration has faced up to the big issues – there has been a lot done but there’s much more to do. The President’s responsibilities however cannot be delegated. This office is the single channel through which there flows the torrential pressures and needs of every national organization, every chapter, every Member.

I deliberately placed myself at the forefront of the organization and I trust you know by now that I care passionately for this organization. If I did not, the rigors and at times, excessive demands on me would not have been worth the personal and professional sacrifices that were necessary to make a difference. Leading JCI has been the greatest self actualizing experience of my young life todate. I would not have traded this opportunity for anything. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

The President is often alone, at the top, the loneliest job there is in JCI. You need a great team of supporters, confidents, friends who can keep you grounded and family who are always there for you. I have shared every step this year with a remarkable personal support team – they are known to many of you and they are all here with me again tonight. I want to thank an outstanding 2005 JCI Board of Directors and Executive Committee; our composite professional JCI Headquarters Staff and Secretary General; the 120 National organizations I have been honored to work with and their National Presidents, Officers and Chapter Presidents – the true leaders of JCI;

I want to thank JCI Austria; the Vienna Congress Organizing Committee under Wolfgang and Rainer and their respective teams for ensuring this JCI World Congress has been the success we all know it has been; I thank JCI Cobh and JCI Ireland under Presidents Darragh and James for their faith and belief in my talents; I applaud my personal team of Jeremy, Seamus, Maggie, Graham, Lynne, Suzanne, Eugene, John and Mariella; On my own behalf and yours, I thank them and applaud them for their selfless service for the benefit of JCI this year.

I can assure you it is much easier to make the speeches than it is to finally make the judgments because sometimes the advice you receive from all quarters is divided. If you take the wrong course, and on occasion I have, the President bears the burden of responsibility quite rightly. However, the advice I have received throughout this year has always had the best interests of JCI at heart. To all those who have advised me throughout the year, including you Colvin, I trust you found a listening ear, an open heart and a wise and considered mind.

As Winston Churchill said on taking office many years ago: if we open a quarrel between the present and the past, we shall be in danger of losing the future.

Tonight our concern must be with that future. For the world is changing. The old era is ending and the old ways will not do.

It is time for a new generation of young leaders and entrepreneurs to create better leaders, to create better societies!
But I believe the times demand new invention, innovation, imagination, decision. I am asking each of you to be pioneers on that New Frontier.

My call is to the young and the young at heart, regardless of age to be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be dismayed. Continue to be living examples of the organization’s philosophy and beliefs.

For courage--not complacency--is our need today--leadership--not showmanship. And the only valid test of leadership is the ability to lead, and lead vigorously.

Are we up to the task--are we equal to the challenge? Are we willing to match the sacrifice of the present for the future or must we sacrifice our future in order to enjoy the present?

In 2005, all of JCI waited upon this Irish styled leadership. A whole world looked to see what we would do. We did not fail their trust; we did not fail to try.

It has been a long road from that first autumn day in Fukuoka to this crowded congress hall to night. Now begins another long journey, taking me back into the town I love so well and back to my family and friends.

JCI Members you gave me your help, your hand, your voice, and your support. But above all else you extended the hand of friendship.

In the words of the traditional Irish blessing:

May the road rise to meet to you,

May the wind be at your back

May the sun shine warm upon your face

May the rain fall softly on your fields

And until we meet again

May you keep safe in the gentle loving arms of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment